Palm Beach High School

The "School on the Hill" in West Palm Beach, FL

Does any one remember the handicap man that yelled, "Miami Daily News Pay...per." outside of Morrison's Cafeteria in downtown West Palm Beach?

If I remember correctly, both legs were amputated and he sat on a platform selling newspapers.

What do you remember about him? Name? What happened to him?

What do you rememer about Morrison's Cafeteria?

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I recall seeing the man and his wife in front of Morrison's, Walgreens and at the bus stop near Sutcliffe''s Electric. I also remember Montgomery Wards parking lot directly behind the city bus stop. And the lady with the German Shepherd dog.

I also enjoyed lunch almost every day at Morrison's Cafeteria, a quick walk from Florida National Bank where I worked from 1967 to 1978. What memories! How I wish I could relive those simpler times.
I also enjoyed the Florida, Palms, Surf and the Palace theaters on Saturday mornings to watch the latest serials.
What fun!!
Was the movie theater west of Burdine's on Clematis the Surf? Or was that the Palace? One of them was on Datura, I think.

Robert R. Sands said:
Yes, I recall seeing the man and his wife in front of Morrison's, Walgreens and at the bus stop near Sutcliffe''s Electric. I also remember Montgomery Wards parking lot directly behind the city bus stop. And the lady with the German Shepherd dog.

I also enjoyed lunch almost every day at Morrison's Cafeteria, a quick walk from Florida National Bank where I worked from 1967 to 1978. What memories! How I wish I could relive those simpler times.
I also enjoyed the Florida, Palms, Surf and the Palace theaters on Saturday mornings to watch the latest serials.
What fun!!
I do remember the couple that were inseparable at that spot in front of Morrison's. On Thanksgiving Morrison's
rolled out a red carpet and treated them to dinner to the applause of all assembled.

The quality of service and food were unmatched at that particular Morrison's. Great memories.
Pam Ketter Browning said:
Was the movie theater west of Burdine's on Clematis the Surf? Or was that the Palace? One of them was on Datura, I think.

Robert R. Sands said:

What fun!!
i remember such a man hawking the Miami Herald, and he could have been a double-amputee. but i also remember, not to be confused with fact, there was a similar man hawking something in front of the drugstore on the northeast corner of clematis and olive ave. later, i remember that drugstore being a walgreen's, but i don't think it was walgreen's while we were in high school. i don't think there were walgreens' then. i remember Morrison's was a treat for me cause i got to select anything i wanted as opposed having to eat what was served at home. i think i always got mashed potatoes with gravy and roast beef and a chocolate dessert and milk. i remember all the tray carriers were black men and true gentlemen, who i later learned were paid nothing. they worked for their tips only.

off the subject, but it's refreshing to look down clematis street and see something other than the library that replaced the old two-story one off to the left, the cocoanut palm shaded park, shuffleboard courts, and all the picnic tables populated by groups of men, young and old and in between, having alot of enthusiastic fun playing cards, checkers, chess, and dominoes. at the same time the black men of the same ages were doing the same things under the trees in the sandy vacant lots on the other side of town. if you were lucky enough, as i was, you got to see these guys on your way to and from the animal rescue league located pretty much on the corner of Tamarind and 25th street. i don't remember seeing any women hanging out in that park. maybe there were women with children, but, if there were, i don't remember seeing them. could i have been boy-crazy?
My Dad worked at Southern Bell and at least once a week we would meet him at Morrison's for dinner. I do remember the man selling the papers, but, not his name or what happend to him
My husband was a policeman that walked the beat downtown. He remembers that before he started walking the beat during the late '60's the Palms was on the S.E. corner of Clematis and Narcissus and the Florida theatre was on the N.w. corner of Clematis and Narcissus. He sort off remembers the names Surf and Palace but not where they were. There was a theatre on south dixie where he sat with Jackie Kennedy where she had sneaked off from her secret service guards to find some time by herself. He saw her going in (they had been notified that she had slipped off). He went in behind her and she begged him to just let her watch a movie in peace. He sat with her and didn't call it in to the station until the movie was over. She thanked him quietly and left when the secret service arrived.

Pam Ketter Browning said:

Robert R. Sands said:

What fun!!
The Surf was on Datura St between Dixie and Olive. My mother took me to see the movie "South Pacific" there. Still love that music. I don't remember one west of Burdine's. When i was in grade school, i remember going to the Carefree for serials and cartoons.
That manner of calling out to customers has come to my mind very many times. I often think of it as I pass that area.
I remember working with you at Florida National Bank. I was there from Sept 1966 - Nov 1967. My name is Joanie Patterson Sanford. I was in the Proof Dept with Loraine Bigelow.

Robert R. Sands said:

What fun!!
Sure, I remember him. He looked a bit disheveled, and was a fixture in downtown. His voice still echos in my ear!! I use to love eating at Morrison's as a kid, because, desserts were the first item in line, and I allways ate too much. You use to run into people that you knew all the time on Clematis St. I believe that the Palace Theater was on Clematis St, just west of Burdines, but, it was gone sometime in the late 50's, the Surf was on Datura St, west of Olive, and the Carefree was on S Dixie and of course the Palms and Florida at Narcissus and Clematis St.
Wow! It is so funny that I got into this page today. My new husband, Vic Gray PBHS '58 (Ardells) and I were just discussing the Newspaper Man a few days ago.l His name was Klinekoff. He and Sister Klinekoff (not sure of the spelling). They use to sing and once when they were at West Gate New Testament Church Sister Klinekoff said she sang by letter. "She just rared back and "let her" fly!

A bit of history on the R-Dells. that I got from Vic. The original's were Tom Condra, John Burgess, Dave Hieronymus, Bill Ande and Trent Stephens (singer). Jim Tolliver replaced John Burgess and Vic replaced Jim Tolliver. In the latter 50's they changed the name to Ardell's. Vic was orginally with the Aoollos. The Ardell's recorded for Epic Records in NYC/Nashville.
The success of the record resulted in the group playing the Paramount Theatre (NYC) and American Bandstand (1965). The group also toured South America, Puerta Rico, Bermuda, and Spain.

Launa Hatcher PBHS '58

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by George Reese.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service