Palm Beach High School

The "School on the Hill" in West Palm Beach, FL

Does any one remember the handicap man that yelled, "Miami Daily News Pay...per." outside of Morrison's Cafeteria in downtown West Palm Beach?

If I remember correctly, both legs were amputated and he sat on a platform selling newspapers.

What do you remember about him? Name? What happened to him?

What do you rememer about Morrison's Cafeteria?

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah yes, I remember him well!! I was in competition with him..........I sold papers on the street from late 1947 to about 1950 or '51. I was peddlin' the Palm Beach Times. Made about $4.oo a week doing this after school. When the late aftenoon edition of Miami Daily Newspaper came out, it was called the Blue Streak. He would then yell BAALUUe STREAK!!!! I think you could hear him all the way over to Datura St. I always felt pity for him. He usually stood there and stared at the sidewalk when he wasn't yelling.
Other street vendors of that same era included Jimmy Williams , Tommy & Jesse Corbett, and Richard Welch(class of '53).
Dick Welch tried to sell me the "rights" to sell my papers in the Harvey Bldg. for $5.00. Even as a 10 year-old, I sensed something shady about the deal
Ray Burrer
Class of '56

There was a person that sold the Palm Beach Post every day during the winter.  He wasn't feeble, but did suffer from a lung disease. (Name-Type Unknown in those days. TB most likely)..

Morrison's served good food at a good price.  This was evident by the long lines that sometimes reached around the block.   

You got a memory like a trap!  Did you really go to West Side Baptist?

Mustang Jack

Raymond Henry Burrer said:

Ah yes, I remember him well!! I was in competition with him..........I sold papers on the street from late 1947 to about 1950 or '51. I was peddlin' the Palm Beach Times. Made about $4.oo a week doing this after school. When the late aftenoon edition of Miami Daily Newspaper came out, it was called the Blue Streak. He would then yell BAALUUe STREAK!!!! I think you could hear him all the way over to Datura St. I always felt pity for him. He usually stood there and stared at the sidewalk when he wasn't yelling.
Other street vendors of that same era included Jimmy Williams , Tommy & Jesse Corbett, and Richard Welch(class of '53).
Dick Welch tried to sell me the "rights" to sell my papers in the Harvey Bldg. for $5.00. Even as a 10 year-old, I sensed something shady about the deal
Ray Burrer
Class of '56
Believe it was the Arcade.  Entrances on both First St & Clematis.

Linda Herbert Tilghman said:
The Surf was on Datura St between Dixie and Olive. My mother took me to see the movie "South Pacific" there. Still love that music. I don't remember one west of Burdine's. When i was in grade school, i remember going to the Carefree for serials and cartoons.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by George Reese.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service